ATLANTIC 2 – The Azores Graciosa Island - Portugal
PILOT LEAD PARTNER:
Prof Helena Calado
– The Blue Azores Project is establishing the knowledge for further enlargement of MPAs
– The new knowledge and tools produced in the MSP4BIO will be of immediate use to planners.
– No comprehensive marine and coastal planning established – no MSP for the Azores approved yet.
– Currently no strategy to enlarge the MPA network from 15% (Blue Azores goal) to 30% (EU goal) and no strategy for “fully protected areas”.
– Knowledge gaps still existing to be further addressed for both offshore areas and coastal areas.
– DSTs used and the MPA prioritization the test area is considered to be the TRL 2-3.
MSP4BIO OBJECTIVES AND IMPACTS
– Enlarge the Azores Marine Protected Areas Network from 15% to 30%;
– Ensure coherence/integration with MSP.
– Build capacity and regain confidence from stakeholders for MPAs implementation.
– Methodological replication to other archipelagos is expected.
– Raise TRL to 4- 5 in the course of the MSP4BIO.
Regional government, Municipality, MPA managers, Maritime surveillance, environmental NGOs, fishery, diving and tourism associations.