BLACK SEA - Western Black Sea – Romania and Bulgaria
PILOT LEAD PARTNER:
– MSP processes are ongoing in both countries covering the site.
– Bulgarian site is not so developed, containing both coastal and marine protected areas with pressures being mainly human activities.
– Lack of operational management plans for MPAs;
– MSP in Bulgaria does not envisage the establishment of new or enlargement of already existing MPAs (currently cover only 8% of BG maritime space);
– Romanian site is characterized by marine uses such as fisheries and aquaculture, maritime and coastal transport activities, hydrocarbon extraction, etc.
– Fragmentation of MPAs coastal-offshore and at the cross-border level – there is a need to integrate ecological corridors through the enlargement of the existing or establishment of new MPAs.
– Given the current status of MSP plans and MPAs enlargement and networking, the current TRL is considered to be TRL2.
MSP4BIO OBJECTIVES AND IMPACTS
– Improved local and cross-border ecological and socio-economic criteria for MPAs identification and prioritization;
– Direct support to inform the establishment of new or extension of already existing MPAs and to MSP plans and cross-border harmonization of biodiversity criteria.
– Improved science-based and consolidated cross-border MSP process and better biodiversity integration in national and cross-border MSP.
– Strengthening the existing MPAs network, with a focus on the 10% strictly protected.
– TRL expected to rise to 4 in the context of the project by validating the MSP4BIO.
In Bulgaria – the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works (Competent MSP Authority); Ministry of Environment and Water (Competent MPAs Authority); Regional administration Dobrich; Municipalities of Shabla and Kavarna; Environmental organizations, NGOs, etc.; in Romania – the Ministry of Environment, Water and Forests (MSFD, Habitats Directive), Ministry of Development, Public Works and Administration (Competent MSP Authority), National Agency for Protected Areas, Municipality of Mangalia, NGOs.